Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:50:06 +0100
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Arp locking patches

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 23:00 +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 02:56:37PM +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> G> I was wondering if the arp locking patches (sys/netinet/if_ether.c 1.138-9
> G> and related changes) were planned to be MFC'd before 6.0 is released?  I'm
> G> seeing a panic on a dual CPU machine running BETA2/amd64 and am seeing the
> G> following panic semi-regularly which looks like it may be related to the
> G> lack of locking on the arp tables.
>
> Sure. They are in release TODO list.
>
> G> Note that the above was provoked with Peter Holm's stress test kit, but I
> G> have also had it on this machine in everyday use.  I'd be happy to test
> G> any patch.
>
> Just take patches from HEAD and test them.

I've now been running with them for three days without a panic.
Previously, the machine couldn't run the stress test suite for more than
an hour or two.  This is with the MFC of:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-all/2005-August/131362.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-all/2005-August/131504.html

Thanks,

Gavin