Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 23:21:31 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is NIC with MAC = ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff OK?

On Saturday 02 December 2000 22:08, Jim Freeze wrote:
> Windows does not seem to like a MAC of all ff's.
> Can someone help out here?

> > > Having never seen this before, are both NICs on your LAN set for
> >
> > and
> >
> > > running at full-duplex? Does "dmesg" make a difference if you stop your
> > > "tcpdump", as I think that's why the NIC is showing in promiscous mode.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean.
> > The second NIC has always had ff:ff... as its MAC.
> >
> > Is there anyway to change that?
> >
> > > That's where my knowledge ends as I've never heard of a NIC showing a
> >
> > MAC

> Jim

I HAVE seen this before.
On a dual boot PC (Linux/Windows98).
It has two NICS.
Scenario:
  Boot windows 98 ...
  "Soft" reboot from 98 to Linux (point is PC is NOT powered off)
  Both NICS Have "FFF..." as MAC.
  NIC drivers complain like billio about too many interrupts etc ..

A hard reboot (i.e. with poweroff) and problem is no problem.
Tested in all combinations of scenarios.
Conclusion: Windows 98 is leaving NICs in this state, that a soft reboot
does not fix.
{Presumable Windows 98 on exit does not clean up after itself .. god knows..

Hope this helps

Cliff