Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:24:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, perryh@pluto.rain.com
Subject:   Re: Panic caused by bad memory?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> Bad memory seems unlikely to cause an I/O error trying to write the
>>> dump to the swap partition.  I'd guess a dicey drive -- and bad
>>> swap space could also account for the original crash.  You might
>>> be able to get a backup by booting single user, provided nothing
>>> activates the (presumably bad) swap partition.
>>
>> Just for the record, this box is running an Adaptec raid controller (2005S
>> - ZCR card) and swap is coming off a mirrored array.
>>
>> Coincidentally, I have a utility box where it had bad blocks on the swap
>> partition (but no others) - what I saw there is that the box would just
>> hang and spit out a bunch of "swap_pager timeout" messages to the console.
>> Quick and dirty remote fix while waiting for a drive?  Run file-backed
>> swap on /usr. :)
>>
>> Let's pretend for a minute it's not the drive that's the root cause...
>> Not saying it isn't - we're none too thrilled with these Adaptec RAID
>> controllers...  Do those memory addresses in the panic message point
>> towards bad memory if they are always the same?
>
> No, they are virtual addresses.  Having the same EIP means you are crashing in
> the same place.  Did you recently kldunload a module before it crashed?

Same place == same code?  The only change on this box was a massive
portupgrade which included apache, php, mysql, postgres and most of the
additional gnu tools.

There is one module that someone set to load on boot, and that's the
linuxolator.  I have disabled that in rc.conf for now and we'll see what
happens after the next panic.

We also have a few sticks of RAM on order now...

Thanks,

Charles