Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:28:08 +1000
From:      "Shevland, Joseph (AU - Hobart)" <jshevland@deloitte.com.au>
To:        'Michael Robinson' <robinson@netrinsics.com>, "'java@FreeBSD.ORG'" <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Linux JDK on FreeBSD (was Re: Alpha JDK 1.2.2 JPDA extension  1)

Yes, certainly the (large) project's I'm seeing are more and more Java (and
more specifically J2EE) based here in Australia at the expense of MS, and
other, solutions. The difficulty for some clients is still resourcing the
Java parts, but I'm fine with that as the supply/demand model means I get
paid nicely ;)

I certainly disagree with the comment that Java is not as big as it was a
few years back (at least in the circles I work in and from all the sources
of info I have available); I've been following it for years now also and its
only getting stronger and more entrenched, especially server-side and large
web- and distributed applications. I was about to say that, sure, applets et
al have probably lost a bit of support, but then again there's a lot of
hardware vendors etc offering client-side Java tools for configuration etc.
Of course it still a horses-for-courses thing, but Java is an absolutely
crucial component for any server platform IMHO.

Regards,
Joe

***********Confidentiality/Limited Liability Statement***************

Have the latest business news and in depth analysis delivered to your
desktop. Subscribe to "Insights", Deloitte's fortnightly email
business bulletin . . .

http://www.deloitte.com.au/preferences/preference.asp

This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, you must not disseminate, copy or
take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message
in error, please notify Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu immediately.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
Deloitte.

The liability of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, is limited by, and to the
extent of, the Accountants' Scheme under the Professional Standards
Act 1994 (NSW).