Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2001 08:22:00 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Mark Blackman <mark.blackman@netscalibur.co.uk>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: RELNOTESng now default in 4-STABLE, *.TXT files removed

--==_Exmh_-1483784480P

If memory serves me right, Mark Blackman wrote:
> Strictly speaking, we do have latex as a separate port which doesn't
> pull in the quite the monstrosities that teTex requires.
>
> In principle, one could either modify the existing jadetex port
> to optionally or exclusively require only latex. I presume jadetex
> doesn't fundamentally require much beyond pdf(la)tex (which is in latex).
>
> Latex is pretty big but not quite unthinkably so.
>
> If this functionality (PDF on release) is considered quite nice
> and nobody else wants to jump on it, I might have a go at converting
> the jadetex port with the assistance of the current maintainer.

Well...jkh and I both like the idea.

I'm not sure what (if any) other issues there are, since I'm pretty
ignorant of the differences between the latex and teTeX ports.

Another thought:  I was just wondering if there might be a way to
disable the xdvi build/install in the teTeX build, so we could just
check for NO_X when building teTeX (the release building process already
defines NO_X, principally for use by print/ghostscript6).  I noticed a
whole lot of configure options getting passed as a part of teTeX's
build, but I haven't really investigated.

Thanks!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1483784480P

--==_Exmh_-1483784480P--