Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:13:38 -0400
From:      Michael Haba <mrh@deepsky.com>
To:        cucu <cucu@cuneydi.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.3.0 support for Compaq SMART-2/P array controller

Well the box has got an ATAPI CDROM and I remember somebody telling me
that I can't have both devices with 'WD vector stealing mode' enabled.

Also with having 'WD vector stealing mode' on, any access on the WD devices
deadlocks the machine.

Updating the firmware on the controller unfortunately didn't help either.

You were talking about patches? Are there any urls for thies?

Thanks,

- Michael

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 09:36:29AM -0500, cucu wrote:
> I am not sure if there is a major problem.  Why are you not stealing WD
> vectors? I boot from the array with no issues.
>
>    You may want to apply patches from Jonathan (was posted couple weeks ago
> in the news group). I am using proliant 1600R with Smart2/p without any
> issues over 2 weeks with 3.3-STABLE.
> You may upgrade your smart ROM
> http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/softpaqs/Rompaq/OPTROM254.html to
> 4.16. I had lot of issues with ROM 4.06. NO I did not test the 4.16, thats
> why I am using 3.08 firmware.
>
> Michael, I will be glad to donate an EISA Smart SCSI card permanently to the
> project. Just let me know where. I may also loan Smart 2P or Smart 3200 each
> for a month.
> cuneyt
>
> Here is the kernel output:
>  Probing for devices on PCI bus 2:
>  ida0: <Compaq SMART-2/P array controller> rev 0x03 int a irq 15 on pci2.0.0
>  ida0: drvs=1 firm_rev=3.08
>  ida0: unit 0 (id0): <Compaq Logical Drive>
>  id0: 8187MB (16768800 total sec), 2055 cyl, 255 head, 32 sec, bytes/sec 512
>  ida: wdc vector stealing on (mode = always, boot major = 0)
>  ida: port address (0xffffffff) out of range
>  ida0 not found

Michael Haba  <mrh@deepsky.com>

Nous étions tous en voyage quand un brouillard s'approche c'est la forêt des
regrets amers des doutes sans rémissions.