Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:07:33 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Rob Schofield <schofiel@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

Rob Schofield wrote:

> NO, sorry, but the adaptors usually *do*, as it's built into the
> chipsets (otherwise how would your SCSI disks work as targets? ;^)

I did not say 'devices', I said "adapters".. Host adapters is what I
obviously meant, and the host adpters and  their drivers don't
support it, so we'd have to add that support..

When I wrote the SCSI subsystem (yes I know how it works)
I tried to leave 'hooks' for target mode, but none of the adapters
supported it so the drivers couldn't do it. the 1542 managed to
HALF support it for a while.

ok?

>. As
> usual, it's the **host software** that doesn't. Even then, if you are using
> the ASPI generalisation layer provided/sold by Adaptec, a lot of what you
> need for target mode is in there.

we are NOT using it as they won't give source..
and 'MOST' is not enough. They were totally unable to get target
mode working correctly on their 154x series and I have no reason
to believe that they have spent more energy on new series.

> Don't generalise, please.

ok the adapter drivers don't usually support it, but in addition
those cards that are "intelligent" usually fail to support it
correctly in their firmware as well. The firmware on most cards is
usually UNTESTED in target mode.

julian