Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:26:52 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        Bart Matthaei <bart@dreamflow.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mtu on gif devices

Sorry for the delayed response,

> The weird thing is, though, that since i've upgraded to 4.5, ssh
> connections from my irix and bsd box in my network (which have
> public ip's tunneled from work) die spontaniously. They either die
> when i give it a lot of input, or when i idle for a bit. It smells
> like a mtu problem to me, but i can't find the problem.
> When i ssh directly from my router trough the tunnel to work, i get a
> stable connection, so i figured the home-router itself is the source
> of the problem.

> Set up is like this:

> colo (gif with mtu 1500) -> gif tunnel -> home-router (gif with mtu
> 1500/ interfaces with mtu 1500) -> irix box (mtu 1200) / bsd box (mtu
> 1500).

> Both the irix and bsd box have the problem.
> The problem was also occuring when the mtu of both gif devices were
> set to 1280.
> It all started when i upgraded my home router from 4.4 to 4.5.

How did you configure (particularly the default) routes on the host
"colo"?  I've seen several reports that the default route on a tunnel
link has somehow become bogus.

BTW: if the problem happens regardless of the MTU value, the MTU
setting may not be the reason.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.