Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 21:17:45 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> wrote:

> well, I tried pccardc enabler 0 wi0 -i 9 and it kernel panicked.. twice.

     You shouldn't have to enable it.  If you insert the card, it's
often automatically recognized and assigned a (free) IRQ from the list
in /etc/pccard.conf (make sure this list is correct).  It may take a
second for the insertion to be recognized, and another few seconds (up
to 10 or so?) to fully assign resources (driver, port, IRQ, etc.).  If
the insertion is not automatically recognized, you might have to
manually turn on the power to the slot, using something like "pccardc
power 0 1" (see the pccardc man page for more details).

     I imagine IRQ 9 should work, but IRQ 3 should work, too (I'm using
IRQ 3).

> I also tried 3, after disabling the sio1 and winmodem stuff. And I removed
> this, and the LPT, and removed any references to 3/7 in my kernel. So my
> free set is now 3 7 9. I don't see "5" as free since its what I'm using
> for the pcic pcard0 pcard1 suite of entries in my kernel config.

     Be careful.  Just because you "disabled" the device in FreeBSD, it
does not necessarily mean that the device is really disabled.  Usually,
it's the BIOS that determines whether a device is enabled or not;
changing the FreeBSD kernel config merely controls whether or not
FreeBSD can access the (enabled by the BIOS) device.  If the device is
enabled by the BIOS, it's still possible for the enabled device to cause
problems with the FreeBSD driver code.

     If your BIOS lets you, try going into the BIOS and disabling
unneeded devices.

> If I'm using irq 5 for the pcic, can I still use it inside the pccard framewo
> rk
> for the daughter cards?

     No.  If the pcic uses an IRQ (as opposed to polling mode), that IRQ
is for the exclusive use of the pcic, and cannot be used by any cards
you plug into the PCMCIA slot(s).  Note that the PCMCIA card resources
(IRQs, etc.) are controlled by /etc/pccard.conf.

> If I have 3/5/7/9 notionally free, and am compiling a kernel, which is
> the best bet to pick for pcic, or do I leave it as irq? and let the kernel
> decide?

     I suspect the answer is laptop-dependent.  With my Inspiron 7500,
I'm lucky and can leave the pcic IRQ hard-coded at IRQ 10.  Personally,
I'd try hard-coding the IRQ values.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com