Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 1996 08:19:55 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

: Sounds fine to me, but I think we should make an effort to be absolutely
: fair and to show some integrity. All numbers should be verified with
: 2 or more people, and pointers to the results should be maintained. If we
: get a rep for playing fast and loose with the facts then we have a
: problem. If we get a rep for being honest and being willing to give linux
: its due (and it does have its good points) then we get to be an honest
: broker.

Yes.  I agree.  We should also pick stable versions of Linux.  Right
now the 1.3.x series is going through a rough patch.  We should likely
compare 1.4.x to 2.1-stable.  Later, we can compare 1.5.x to 2.2.
Also, which distribution of Linux becomes a problem...

Things that FreeBSD is good at, relative to older linuxes (and maybe
current ones):
	*LARGE* numbers of FTP users
	*HUGE* routing tables
	*INSANE* HTTP performance
Linux seems to be a little better at context switch time and low low
level things like that, but doesn't scale well.  That would be a good
selling point.

Just some thoughts.  I know that the Linux folks are doing work in the
performance areas as we speak...

Warner