Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 08:30:49 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org, jhs@jhs.muc.de
Cc:        Bsdguru@aol.com, bv@wjv.com, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeside

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 12:57:56AM +0200, Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de thus sprach:
> Bsdguru@aol.com,

> Criticising Bill Vermillion seems suspect:

>   Don't you know he's a helpful asset on isp@ ? (He helped me
>   among many others) Better that your postings be discouraged,
>   rather than his.

I'm not easily discouraged after posting to Usenet newsgroups and
mailing lists for Unix for the past 15 years.  Thanks for the
comment.

As to your comments on gurus:
The idea is that we all help each other.  I know 3 or 4 whom I
would call gurus' but they always deny that and point to someone
else more knowledgable.

One of those - years ago in SysV.3 - got so tired of the
'disappearing inodes' that plagued that release, that he finally
disaseembled the vendor supplied kernel, and found the bug that
those with the source code had been unable to find for 2 years.
Then he built a binary patch and put on the 'net.
To me, his is a guru, but he denies that he is.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com