Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 07:22:02 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alright, who's the smart alleck that fixed NFS this last week? :)

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
[Partial writes]
> I finally gave up on it.  What NFS does now is optimize only two
> write situations:  ...  And (2) piecemeal writes in the write-append
> case.

I'm nothing like an NFS expert, so I may be talking through my hat,
but...  I presume NFS correctly supports O_APPEND semantics for
multiple clients (as seen from the server).  In this case, the
optimization only works when there's only one client machine (though
possibly multiple processes on that machine) is using write+O_APPEND.

Peter