Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:58:05 +0200
From:      Alphons van Werven <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
To:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, jonathan@kc8onw.net
Subject:   Re: Lexar flash drive dead?

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

RW via freebsd-questions wrote:

["re-CC'ed" OP]

>> If you haven't already tried try swapping the connectors around using
>> a different connector on a different motherboard socket.=20
>=20
> Sorry I missed the USB bit.=20

Nevertheless, if not already done so it might eliminate the possibility
that the problem is with the computer the drive is connected to rather
than the drive itself.

Other than that, in my experience errors like these usually suggest that
the drive itself is broken on the hardware level and cannot be rescued on
a software level. Depending on exactly where the failure lies and whether
that's a user-serviceable part (e.g. a connector or controller or some-
thing), it *might* be possible to salvage the data by replacing the com-
ponent in question with a "donor" component from a healthy drive of the
same make and type--or at least a similar device with compatible com-
ponents. However, this usually requires considerable expertise and even
then USB drives in particular often don't have a whole lot of removable
components in the first place.

Fonz

--=20
A.J. "Fonz" van Werven <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
mailsig: Help! I'm a prisoner in a Chinese fortune cookie factory.

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--