Date:      31 May 2000 19:42:51 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "fetch | sh" panics system

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:

> The following, completely innocuous command line
> $ fetch -o - http://sites.inka.de/mips/unix/freebsd/xterm.shar | sh
> executed as a non-priviledged user, reproducibly panics the machine.

Some people have mailed that this particular command line just
works on their machines. I'm not surprised.

Still there must be some sort of problem, which happens to be
triggered accidentally on my box for this unlikely case. I updated
to yesterday's -CURRENT, and the problem persists. This is perfectly
reproducible.

I'll happily provide more details on my configuration, if anybody
can give me a clue what might sensibly affect this.