Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 10:16:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about Cisco 2503i price

> > >The 2503i is a mission critical version, it directly includes the software,
> > >which disables the serial port. You can later buy the full version ($1200
> > >list price) to upgrade and use the serial ports.
> >
> > Does that include the (required) memory upgrade?
> >
> > So your talking $3000. for a box with 2 serial ports, an ISDN connection
> > and a '386-speed processor? Eeek!
>
> Two T1 ports, ISDN, support for T1 PPP, Cisco HDLC, Frame Relay and
> SMDS.  Packet filtering.  OSPF, RIP, RIP-2, EIGRP, BGP routing
> protocols (if you need them).  Look at the 2524 which has provisions
> for integral 56K DDS or T1 CSU/DSUs to further reduce the system cost.
>
> Plus, you can plug it in and it works.  No interrupt vectors, dma
> channels to fool with.  Small package.  Only a fan for moving parts,
> and no fsck.
>
> Not everyone is willing to spend a lot of time integrating a box when
> you can essentially buy an appliance off the shelf which does a better
> job.  Are we going to start this whole discussion again?

Yes, I agree, the FreeBSD box does a better job.  Guys, take it to -chat
or -isp, where people either don't give a rip or don't give a rip,
respectively.

Point for point, you can match Ciscos and FreeBSD boxes, it's simply a
matter of which colored glasses you put on.  Louis will never admit that
a small amount of effort would yield a FreeBSD router that could
outperform a Cisco in terms of performance and reliability, and still
have no moving parts, because Louis is an "out of the box" bigot.  Dennis
will take the opposing viewpoint..

So, puh-leeze, let's not get into this again...  both sides are right, from
a certain point of view.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968