Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:26:48 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        Robert Clark <ROBERTC@PII.COM>, nick@calyx.net, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Civil Forfeiture: (was: How many customers read news)

At 14:15 23/04/97 -0700, Robert Clark wrote:
>Its nice to enjoy the whole-world feel of the 'FreeBSD Movement'. Sometimes
> the rest of the world gets to chuckle at our troubles.

I'm more appalled than chuckling at this abuse of power. The UK police have
similar discretion to seize /evidence/ under a search warrant (and have
threatened to do so to ISP's) and can confiscate pornography/publishing
equipment. The UK Drug Trafficking Act is unusually draconian in that it
reverses the burden of proof -- the accused has to prove that his property
was /not/ the proceeds of drug trafficking to prevent seizure. However for
the DTA to apply, you have to already have been convicted under the Misuse
of Drugs Act or Customs law.

Once the Government grabs rights from us its tough to get them back.
However, I thought that US Citizens were luckier that us in that they had
constitutional protection -- I guess that's a mirage after all :/

In deference to Jordan's remarks we ought to cut this thread since it's way
off topic. However I wish US ISP's well and hope this can be resolved
without the destruction of your livelihoods and/or the vibrancy & freedom of
the Internet (of which FreeBSD is an important part!).

Best regards
Robin.
Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/