Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 1995 22:11:15 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: outside 'des'-directory

> As a mirror site maintainer I would like to put up a
> des directory equivalent to the ftp.freebsd.org site
> for the latest SNAP and coming RELEASES.

Great! The more the merrier...

> At the moment I fetched the code from internat.freebsd.org
> and put it with a README into the des directory, saying
> that one had to rebuilt from source to get equivalent
> DES crypt libraries and such.

Less than optimal, I know...

> Is this the correct way? Would it bee too much effort
> for the za-site to produce ready made tar-balls from the sources?

So far, I have been doing the releases only, as there is a bit of a
problem synchronizing with the SNAP schedule. I fully intend to build
snaps in the future. If you (Jordan) could give me warning of when you
are building a snap, I could then synchronize with you and track it
here.

One of the reasons I have been slack is that my poor old machine
takes +- 20 hours to complete a release, and it has _never_ run to
completion without some manual intervention. This means that for about
a whole weekend I have to babysit the SOB; bye-bye weekend, and my
system is dog-slow for the duration. If some kind soul could donate a
Pentium, I think I could improve on the timing (hint, hint) ;-)

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grumble.grondar.za for PGP key