Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:14:30 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp, nclayton@lehman.com, kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 03:32:05PM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> That said, *if* we need them all to look uniform, I propose we use
> <lang><_territory> (as I said before).  None of the examples Nik
> stated show why we need the <.codeset> part.

Unicode.

   ja_JP.eucJP
   ja_JP.unicode[1]
   en_US.iso-8859-1
   en_US.unicode
   zh_TW.Big5
   zh_CN.EUC
   zh_TW.unicode
   zh_CN.unicode

Some of you might consider Unicode a bit of a strawman argument, because
it's a nebulous thing that's somewhere off in FreeBSD's future.  So I'll
also mention that

   ru_SU.CP866
   ru_SU.KOI8-R

doesn't fit in to your scheme.  There are probably others as well, but
it's 1:12 am, and I'm not going to hunt for them right now.

[1] $DEITY alone knows what the codeset name will be, so I'm guessing.  And
    yes, there will certainly be some character sets where the unicode
    code points and the code points in one of the other encodings coincide.
    In situations like this, .unicode (or whatever) acts effectively as an
    alias for the other encoding (or vice versa).

    Murphy's law dictates that there will be at least one language encoding
    for which this won't hold true.  So I'm covering that base now as well,
    just in case.
--
 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs