Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:13:22 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on newer Toshiba Satellites?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:40:26PM -0400, G.E. Rafe wrote:
> Can knowledgeable list readers offer comments on the
> FreeBSD's (4.x-R) support for current Satellite models
> (e.g., 1805-S253 & 2805-S503)
> with respect to XFree86, APM, USB, PCCARD, sound,
> and the internal modem & ethernet ports ?

Satellite 2805-S201 here.

XFree86 4.1.0 is working great.
APM tells me the current battery status.  Resuming from a suspend seems to
work except that I don't have a display. :-)  I haven't had another machine
on the network to see if the OS was actually active.  The only time it
suspends is when I accidentaly kick the plug out of the wall.  I am almost
always near a 120v outlet.

USB should work find it recognises the devices when I insert them but I've
only plugged a keyboard, a mouse, and an un-supported digital camera in.
The mouse worked.  I think the keyboard worked after about a minute.  I
may be remembering wrong.  I only had access the the devices for about
20 minutes.

PCCARD works well.  The current PCCARD code in -STABLE only finds slot 0.
I have faith that Warner will fix slot 1 in the fullness of time.  I only
have one card so it doesn't bother me.

Sound is perfect.

Internal modem is apparently based on the Lucent chipset so there is hope.
A linux site says it works with one of the more recent versions of the
binary driver.  Unfortunately that version is more recent than the version
used in the FreeBSD usable hack at http://www.geocities.com/wtnbkysh/

The internal ethernet is an Intel EtherExpress pro 10/100.  Works perfectly.

The DVD is usable with /usr/ports/graphics/vlc.

--
Scott Lambert          KC5MLE            Unix SysAdmin -- Looking for work.
lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html