Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 21:00:58 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@otenet.gr>
To:        Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net>
Cc:        Doug Young <dougy@brizzie.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, KiwiCado23@aol.com
Subject:   Re: Question

[ This is more relevant to -chat now and not -questions.  Moving it there. ]

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 07:23:07AM -0400, Mark Yeck wrote:

>On 22-May-01 Doug Young wrote:
>>
>>> Unsure of the proper source of information, I turn to whoever this e-mail
>>> address belongs to. I attempted to install FreeBSD on a ancient 386 laptop
>>> and it is not working, are you the correct e-mail address to diagnose the
>>> problem or can you please direct me to the appropriate person.
>>
>> the "386 laptop" tells the story :)
>>
>> I've never found installation works properly with less than 16Mb RAM,
>> and very few geriatric 386 laptops of my acquaintance had more than 4Mb.
>> Furthermore laptops are probably the worst machine possible to install any
>> unix ... they typically have the weirdest hardware in existence & its often
>> difficult even installing Windows !!
>
> Not too long ago, I installed 4.2-R on a 486-25 laptop with 12MB RAM and
> a 200MB disk. It was relatively straightforward, though I suspect that it
> would take significantly more work to install on a system with less memory
> or disk than that.

Ahem.  One cannot help but wonder...

What are the practical limits in memory, disk and cpu, that FreeBSD releases
will require to install properly?

I mean, I have tested on my lowly Pentium 133 w/ 32 Mb of RAM and lots of disk
space to install 2.2.8, various 3.x and practically all 4.x releases, without
having any problems.  But what are the absolut minimum requirements for
installing, say 4.2-RELEASE (thats the most recent one I got in an .iso image
stored on my disk)?

Anyone got some real number about this? ...

--giorgos