Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:48:40 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Josef El-Rayes <josef@freebsd.org>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 & 4.10 production release?

Josef El-Rayes wrote:
> hi!
>
> although it might just be wordsmithing or nitpicking,
> i think, as it is on the frontpage of the website, it
> might confuse users, when we both declare 4.10 and 5.3
> as production release.
>
> i mean,
> which project ever had two 'stable' releases?
> which one is recommended for which purpose?
> is there a deprecated one?
>
> i think we should use some less irritating definitions
> for our two releases, so a user with not that much clue
> about freebsd knows where to start.
>
> greets, josef

It's being discussed at the moment.  Please, it's not the end
of the freaking world that there are two 'Production Releases'
on the front page.  Would you prefer that 5.3 be under the
label 'New Technology', even though it isn't?  Yes, FreeBSD
has two production releases.  Microsoft has had 2 production
releases in the past.  RedHat and SuSE have multiple production
releases.  It's not the end of the world =-/

Scott