Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:49:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   shutdown problems FBSD 3.4-STABLE

Since I installed vinum with softupdates, I have several problems when shutting
down the server. Whenever I shut down the machine, init reports a non dying process
and tells me, that ps axl has been adviced. After a few seconds this process, which name I
never see, has obviously been killed and the system performs a normal shutdown or reboot.
But sometimes the las tmessage on the screen is that all disks has been sync'ed but nothing happens
further on. The system is stuck in this process and seems to be frozen. Only a reset or
powercycle can help, but then fsck reports some dirty partitions ...

How can I find out what process won't dy? How to figure out what process causes the hanging
or freezing the system after shutdown?

With regards,

Gruss O. Hartmann