Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:32:59 -0800
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        "'Hiroki Sato'" <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>
Cc:        <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: <citerefentry> vs. &man.command.section

Hiroki Sato wrote:
>  No.  They have the same meaning.  The latter (short) form is
> defined in  doc/share/sgml/man-refs.ent.  It is something
> like #define macro in C.
>  If you can find man.xxx.n in man-refs.ent, you should use
> it.  If not, I think it is better to add an entry by yourself
> or ask someone  who is a doc committer, instead of using the former.

Ah. Thank you for the explanation! This wasn't clear to me from reading
the docs.

> shamrock> 2) Is it required that every time a FreeBSD command is
> shamrock> mentioned the command _must_ be surrounded by the <command>
> shamrock> tags? I have explanatory text paragraphs in which gbde is
> shamrock> mentioned multiple times and having all these bold
> instances
> shamrock> of gbde in the same paragraph looks strange to me
> (in the html
> shamrock> output).
>
>  Hmmm, could you please show an example?

First of all, sorry for the mental typo. I meant to say <application>,
not <command>.

Here is an example of some text that I wrote that I believe may be too
cluttered with bold face terms when rendered as HTML:

<sect2>
<title>Compatibility issues</title>
<para>&man.sysinstall.8; is incompatible with
<application>gbde</application>-encrypted devices. All
<application>gbde</application> devices must be detached from the kernel
before launching <application>sysinstall</application> or
<application>sysinstall</application> will crash during its initial
probing for devices. To detach the <application>gbde</application>
device used in our example, use the following command:
</para>
</screen>
</sect2>

Thanks,