Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 20:56:50 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        smak_420@hotmail.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Santa Cruz and 5.1..

>Does anyone have any feedback on gaming and xmms type usage with the Santa
>Cruz and say a Klipsch 5.1 system on the recent 4.5 Release?
>
>does the center channel work? i'm mostly concerned about playback here,
>although feedback on recording  would be a bonus as well.

I don't game on FreeBSD, but I have some comments about the hardware that
you mentioned.

The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is an excellent soundcard with great output and
it doesn't screw up with SMP systems (unlike my SB Audigy)

The Klipsch 5.1 system, or any Klipsch PC speaker system, is very
specialized. Specialized meaning that if you are after volume and bass, it
is a great system. If you are after accurate sound reproduction, it sucks.
Unfortunately, most 5.1 systems made for the PC are crap as far as sound
reproduction. Some exceptions:
- Monsoon has a 5.1 system that sounds very good, but it is a bit
underpowered.
- The Videologic Digitheatre 5.1 system is /extremely/ good for the price
and is not underpowered. I am not sure what its procing in the U.S. is, but
the Sirocco Crossfire system (their 4.1) is about $450.00 and I saw a
Digitheatre 5.1 on Ebay for $400 as a passing glance.
(British spelling as they are a British company)

If you are interested in gaming, the center channel will spend most of its
time twiddling its thumbs. If you are interested in DVD movies, it will be
useful.
The virtual center channel on most quality 4.1 systems is quite good, but
for DVD movies you can still tell that it is being faked if you listen for
it.

Note that I am not "anti-Klipsch". I actually have a Klipsch regular home
theater system hooked up to my PC now and it sounds very good. Their PC
speaker systems really do suck though. Listen to them--they have a mediocre
midrange, a very sharp and harsh high end, and somewhat flubbery, boomy
bass. All mid to upper frequencies have this weird megaphone-like quality to
them as well. Also note that the power ratings that hey use are NOT true
RMS, so the 500W claim is worthless. This is rather odd as they use true RMS
to rate every one of their speakers except the ProMedias. <shrug>. For
example, the Videologic Sirocco Crossfire speakers are rated at 80W true RMS
and can actually get a few dB higher than the Klipsch. They are fairly
powerful for their price, though, and are fine if you never listen to music
or movies.
If you'd like me to look up some references for you, let me know, but this
is mostly from my own listening experience. (speaking of which--go out and
listen to some of these speakers and judge for yourself!)

Charles Burns