Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:42:08 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Richard Stanaford <rsstan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer   kernels

Richard Stanaford wrote:

> > I think the buildkernel and installkernel have been "promoted" to a
> > function they are not designed for. I don't think these targets are fit
> > to be "the only supported" targets and should not be advocated nor
> > evaluated as such.
>
> So we will have to continue to be judicious in the use of buildkernel...  i.e
> only in the context of tracking changes committed to STABLE.  Changes to the
> local system, such as hardware upgrades, will require rebuilding the kernel
> with the "old" method.  Right?

The buildkernel/installkernel targets can be used most (if not all) of
the time. The problem I'm seeing is more of user friendlyness and/or
fault tolerancy. They are currently also behaving a bit differently than
when building a kernel by hand (ie the actual way). These issues need to
be addressed first before you promote these targets as "the one and only
supported" procedures.

> In other words, is now more than one way to hang ourselves.  We just need to
> make sure to choose the correct rope.  *snicker*  8-)

No. Either rope is evenly correct to hang yourself. You need to choose
the correct situation :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org