Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:49:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Chan & Lee books"

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Ian Grigg wrote:

> Nate:
> > Umm, they are THE Java Reference books...
>
> The books that Nate recommends are in the javasoft series.
> The ones I found at amazon are below.  Be (a)ware that they
> are about $54 each, being hardback :-(

My situation has changed, I suddenly may find some funds to buy Java
books (for a course).  I squirreled away this post (for obvious reasons)
and now I have to ask a question.

Seeing as Java is mutating like a heavily nuked protozoa, and these
books have dates of 1996-1997, are they really up to date anymore?  If
they describe things like an ancient event handling mechanism (that
deprecated for new software) its not going to be of extreme help.  If it
completely skips swing, well, that's not a minor omission either.  Can
someone who *has* these books give me some more reasons (that I can pass
along to the person writing the check) for why these aren't obsolete
(and if there's little chance to a new revision coming out 6 hours after
the purchase is made)?

Thanks.  Any rumors about new editions are welcome.

> iang
>
> ====================
> Patrick Chan, Rosanna Lee, Doug Kramer
>
> The Java(tm) Class Libraries, Second Edition, Volume 1:
> java.io, java.lang, java.math, java.net, java.text, java.util Vol 1
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201310023/o/qid=914418229/sr=2-1/002-9203115-8455054

> Patrick Chan, Rosanna Lee
> The Java Class Libraries : Java.Applet, Java.Awt, Java.Beans (Vol 2)
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201310031/ref=sim_books/002-9203115-8455054

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).