Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:50:16 +0200
From:      Frode Nordahl <frode@nordahl.net>
To:        Jo Geraerts <geraerts.jo@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation of big "mail systems"?

On Oct 14, 2004, at 19:39, Jo Geraerts wrote:
> As webmail i use squirrelmail, but i think i made the wrong choice. The
> problem with this setup is that it makes a imap connection for every
> pagerequest. If I had to redesign a new webmail system, i think i would
> use something that supports persistent imap connections ( some kind of
> servlet or zope application)

Have a look at /usr/ports/mail/up-imapproxy
(http://www.imapproxy.org/), helps alot!

Squirrelmail is also very CPU and memory hungry when opening large
mailboxes, doing Thread sorts and such.

One sollution to the problem is to use UW-IMAP's MBX format, as it is
indexed and supports shared READ-WRITE access. No more problems with
long logon times due to large mailboxes or locking!

Mvh,
Frode Nordahl