Date:      Sat, 02 Aug 1997 11:32:38 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami), andreas@klemm.gtn.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

> I have seen in the FreeBSD project since my involvement. I can count the
> number of such incidents I've witnessed in the last couple of years on one
> hand, so it's not like the project is infested with stupidity. It was
> very ill-considered, and Satoshi's position here is critical. That he
> apparently got no say in this is incredible, to say the least. It seems
> obvious to an outsider that there are some very fundamental communication
> problems within the core team. Seeing this fixed is even more critical
> than where tcl or perl happen to reside.

What most people here don't understand is that there was very fierce
debate about this behind the scenes for some time before it was done,
and what started as a TCL debate blew up into a whole "should FreeBSD
have everything unbundled, from the compilers to perl, or should it
bundle all the high level tools so that other system tools can be
written which depend on them?" sort of fracas.  One man's useful tool
is another man's wasteful, unnecessary bloat, it seems, and rather
than see an anti-bloatist campaign which would have led to the removal
of tcl, perl, xntpd, tn3270 and a host of other utilities which are
currently not deemed "essential" by the anti-bloatists, I think it was
sort of deemed the lesser of two evils to just let the bloatists win
the TCL debate.

At least that's how I see it from my perspective - frankly, after the
debate in question was over (which, again, most people here were
spared), I decided I didn't even want to think about the issue for
awhile and that's why I've been silent in the face of Satoshi's
impassioned pleas - I don't want to go back to the bargaining table
and have to decide which utilities will get the axe.

Once you start with TCL, it will *not* stop there - I can only assure
you of that.  Perl will follow immediately behind, as will much other
stuff (yes perl fans, there are many out there who consider your
favorite utility language an evil, bloated monster which should not be
bundled with FreeBSD at all).  What we have now is a rough state of
equilibrium between the two sides (who are fundamentally at odds as to
what constitutes a reasonable bundling policy) and while TCL may be
causing some grief, I think the bloatists are content with that state
of affairs and nothing else is on the bundling horizon that I can see.
Nuke TCL and you will swing the balance in the other direction, with a
lot more than just TCL biting the dust as a result.  Maybe that's not
such a bad thing, but just so you understand how much of a "linchpin"
issue this one is.

					Jordan