Date:      Sun, 24 May 2020 13:03:39 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd 12.0 azure and azure-agent (waagent)

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD

Hello,

I'm considering upgrading a freebsd instance originally installed onto azure
via their marketplace. It's freebsd-12.0 and I'd like to bring it to 12.1 v=
ia
freebsd-update.

I notice that when it was provisioned, it seems azure-agent (waagent) was
installed manually, presumably by azure themselves. It was not installed via
the pkg install method. It's dependent on python27 which is now obsolete.
Apart from that, it looks just like a standard basic vm.

What I'd like to know:

is waagent required for the VM to function? If I upgrade, and something
goes wrong with waagent, will the vm come back up? Or will it be stopped if
waagent is non-functional?

As 12.0 -> 12.1 involves default python going 27 -> 3[6-7] what do I need to
look out for regarding waagent? I presume I'm going to have to install
azure-agent (python37) over the top.

All this is an issue because there's no ILO functionality exposed to the
customer in Azure.

thanks,
--=20
J.