Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:23:34 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE bus transfer speed

>Does anyone have a list of old IDE bus transfer speeds?  In
>particular, I'd like to know what the bus transfer speed was on a
>typical system in 1991 (33MHz 386, 128MB HDD, etc.).

Hi!

Well, did some tests those days myself, and found out that the ISA bus
should have had a spec about 3,5 MBytes/second (as far as I remember), but
other components sucked something away from that part being available to
bus transfers) Cheap ISA controller cards did an additional slowing.

You surely target to those PIO modes later introduced, with PIO 4 doing a
theoretical of 16 MB/sec?

In practical use, I once benchmarked the 486/33 ISA of my cousin, which had
a standard multi-I/O-card in, with a 540 MB HDD, so enough power behind.
That beast did not come about 1 MB/sec in that combo.
(used cthdbench from german c't mag- very good prog for quick tests)
HDD was able to transfer about 3 MB/sec on actual controllers.

On my '93 368-40 with 130 MB, I had peak rates of 900 kb/sec, but limited
by the HDD.
Bus speed there was sure a bit above 1 MB, but depending on controller
quality/chipset quality...

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)