Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:37:41 -0500
From:      "Ken Menzel" <kenm@icarz.com>
To:        "Scott Long" <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3200 on FreeBSD current (rc2)

Thanks again Scott,

Do you want me to submit a Problem Report for this (for documentation
of the issue)?

More info:
  I just tried a normal tape drive without a changer and everything
worked fine (da0 is there).  Turns out there is an onboard controller
on the Dell 2500 server and we moved the tape changer there to get
around this problem for now.  I would guess from a performance point
of view we can improve our setup in the Dell 2500.

I am running all 6 drives on one channel (10K RPM Drives),  the tape
drive on the other channel.  I think there is a little dongle thing
(SCSI Backplane daughter card?)) I can buy from Dell that will allow
me to split the drives across the 2 channels.  I can keep the tape
drive on the mother board controller and use RAID 10 with one array on
channel 1 and the other array on channel 2.  Do you think that would
improve performance of the SCSI subsystem significantly?  My old setup
was just the easy way!

We are running the Adaptec 3200 with 512Meg of RAM and battery backup
option.  It's seems to be very reliable and fast.

Thanks for any advice and for the help.  I am now installing 5.0 RC2
on this box!

Ken
<much cut>