Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:01:12 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Laurent Fabre <fabre@matranet.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD Security <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: LaBrea for BSD?

At 09:05 AM 9/27/2001, Laurent Fabre wrote:

>I thought about it yup but....
>The fact is I need to capture something lower than IP, just because
>we need to monitor ARP request in order to acquire new IP addresses.

Automatic acquisition of unused IPs is, IMHO, a bad idea. If you're
assigning addresses via DHCP, it just plain won't work; the honeypot
will acquire addresses that your DHCP server still thinks can be
assigned. And since every Windows client tries to ARP its own address
as it starts up (in an attempt to make sure it's not stepping on
someone else), a machine that has been turned off for the night
will refuse to get on the Net in the morning if its address has
been claimed.

I'd prefer to specify the addresses to watch, thank you....

--Brett