Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2007 09:27:10 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Tony Holmes <tony@crosswinds.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>, dan@danneh.org
Subject:   Re: nfe(4) issues

Quoting Tony Holmes <tony@crosswinds.net> (from Wed, 8 Aug 2007 =20
15:04:56 -0400):

> On +Aug 08, Oliver Fromme wrote:

>> However, I recommend you update to 7-current anyway.  It is
>> already in code freeze for several weeks (in preparation
>> for the release), and it has been stable for me so far.
>
> Let me add a "I concur" to this. I upgaded to 7-current 4 weeks ago for th=
is
> very reason and I have been pleased with the stability and  =20
> performance. I have
> enough confidence to deploy into production in the next couple of weeks.

gcc 4.2.0 in -current has known defects. I wouldn't trust it on a =20
production system. When 4.2.1 is imported, some of the known problems =20
in gcc are fixed, but not all. The IP checksum code in FreeBSD is =20
affected by the new gcc (IIRC when compiled without optimization... =20
it's probably the same bug in the checksum code which showed up when I =20
compiled the kernel with icc 3 years ago). One of our SoC students =20
knows how to fix it, but I don't know if one of our network guys is =20
taking care about the problem.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Optimism is the content of small men in high places.
=09=09-- F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack Up"

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137