Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:22:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hmmm, OK, SMC driver is the de driver. Is it broke?

On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, David Greenman wrote:

>    I can see nothing wrong with your config file. I can only think that
> somehow your sources aren't in sync or some other build related problem.

    Well, the sources are from the 2.2-960303-SNAP tarballs mirrored
from ftp.freebsd.org.  I don't see any MD5 checksums, so I can't
verify that they haven't been corrupted, but that would be rather
unlikely the source would be munged in such a way that it would still
compile without obvious warnings.

> All of my machines here use the 'de' driver and -current works just fine
> with them. Perhaps it could be related to ARP? What is the ifconfig line
> that you're running at startup? Do you do IP aliasing?

    Plain old "ifconfig de0 inet 198.133.36.5 netmask 0xffffff00 -link2".
It also fails without the -link2 switch (we are running the Etherpower
9332 in 10Mbps mode).  There are 50 IP aliases assigned to that
interface, all from the same class C, but the system doesn't even get
a chance to assign them.  From a single-user shell, as soon as I type
the ifconfig line and hit Return, the machine goes down for the count.
That server *is* fairly busy though, so I suppose there are who-has
ARP broadcasts coming in several times a second.

    I'll try the kernel on another machine and then perhaps with the
Web server isolated from the rest of the network.  If that doesn't
work, I'll replace the 9332 with an 8416 and try the ed0 driver.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internex Online Inc.