Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:46:43 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Scott, Brian" <brian.scott4@det.nsw.edu.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Flow monitoring with PF

On 12/06/2013, at 9:47, "Scott, Brian" <brian.scott4@det.nsw.edu.au> =
wrote:
>> I was looking at trying out flow monitoring and I found pfflowd, but =
unfortunately it does not work with FreeBSD >9.0. I thought about =
ng_netflow but that doesn't >see my tun interface which may be related =
to..
>> WARNING: attempt to domain_add(netgraph) after domainfinalize()
>=20
> Noise message. I've never seen it actually mean anything.
>=20
> The problem is that tun0 is a generic network interface. Ng_ether only =
exposes Ethernet devices. The equivalent to tun but for an Ethernet =
device is tap. Creating a tap device after boot immediately creates the =
corresponding ng_ether node which can then be plumbed into ng_netflow.

OK, for some reason I thought NG would add nodes to mirror every network =
interface but that was wrong..

> Some software is kind enough to work with either tun or tap as a =
configurable option.

Unfortunately I am using ppp which doesn't :(

>> Does anyone have any recommendations for generating flow information =
from PF?
>=20
> I've had great success with ng_netflow. I like the fact that all the =
processing is in-kernel.

Yeah, that is one reason I looked at it.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum