Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 12:28:32 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/4486

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >The problem in question was IMHO non-existing adapter memory (the MDA
> >frame buffer on an S3 card running in color mode).  You can never be
> >sure about misbehaving hardware in such cases.  That's not only
>
> I think you can be fairly sure about the behaviour of nonexistent ISA
> memory.

Also if the nonexistent ISA memory is (bogusly) decoded by an adapter
card?  I don't trust it, and it often enough doesn't make sense at all
to dump these memory regions.  (I've seen a fairly weird memory-mapped
IO handling on the HP ``Cascade'' Ethernet chips, that makes me a
little overcautious here.)

> >> Does the broken system also hang for 64-bit video accesses via the FPU?
> >
> >How would this be done?
>
> Just access it via 64-bit FPU instructions.

Will have to try this at work.

--
cheers, J"org