Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 15:31:11 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        CombsSF@salem.ge.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ifconfig <whatever> link1 problems

> I've been trying to use the 'ifconfig <whatever net device> inet <address>
> <netmask> <broadcast> link[0-2] up' syntax with 3Com cards ('509 and '589)
> on FreeBSD 2.0.5-Release, 2.1.0-Release, and on 2.1.0-Release with the
> 'pccard-test-960328' patches with no luck at all.  On the 205 and the 210
> systems it has no effect at all.  On the 210-pccard system 'link2' (the
> UTP choice) does nothing, the 'link0' or 'link1' causes a hard system lock
> [ can't even get into the kernel debugger!]  With any of these systems,
> the only way I've been able to switch xceiver types is with the 3Com
> config disk!

Umm, on my system, it defaults to use the UTP device (whatever that is),
which happens to be the RJ45 connector.  To use the BNC connector, I
must specify -link0 on the line.

However, I'm not sure you can switch between the two connectors 'on the
fly'.

If the PC-CARD stuff works fine, you should be able to edit
/etc/pccard.conf and add/remove -link0 and then do a hot swap of the
card to make it work.

As far as the link1 and link2 devices go, I'm not aware that they are
even supported.  The switch between the two different types occurs on
the absence or prescense of link0.

Nate