Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:40:09 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voodoo3? [was Re: GLX Xserver for FreeBSD?]

Martin Cracauer:
 |In <200003060756.CAA99613@otter.blackberry.net>, Christopher Masta wrote:
 |> Forgive me if I'm missing something, but there are a lot of layers.
 |>
 |> Isn't software still needed to drive the Voodoo 3.. Glade?  DRI is the
 |> X interface to it, but the driver still needs to be ported to FreeBSD,
 |> right?  Or is it possible to get accelerated OpenGL now?
 |
 |Glide is it. Since 3dfx put out documentation for their chips, you
 |don't strictly need the Glide layer, although it may be convinient.

 |Don't know what the DRI do.

For a pictorial view:

   http://dri.sourceforge.net/components.jpg

Notice the yellow and red datapaths on the far left and how many software
layers are bypassed (compared to paths involved green arrows).

http://dri.sourceforge.net/

    The direct rendering infrastructure, also known as the DRI, is a
    framework for allowing direct access to graphics hardware in a safe and
    efficient manner. It includes changes to the X server, to several
    client libraries, and to the kernel. The first major use for the DRI is
    to create fast OpenGL implementations.

Randall