Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:36:10 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        michael2043@comcast.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which Version of FreeBSD?

-CURRENT or -STABLE should not be used in production environments.
FreeBSD in general is very stable and well tested but if you want the
most stable it would be the 4.x branch.
The following is a snippet from page 119 of Michael Lucas's book,
Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD.
-----------------------------------
Which Release Should You Use?
FreeBSD uses the same release system as it does for quality control.
Though it may seem like a
complex system, it allows users to rest assured that a release is
supported by the community, and
that it has been through peer review and extensive testing. That same
user knows that the nifty new
features in -stable and -current are available, if she's willing to pay
the price.
So which release should you use?

Production: If you're using FreeBSD in a production setting, track the
security branch of a
-release.

Test: If you're a network administrator interested in seeing how changes
in FreeBSD will
affect your environment, track -stable on a test system.

Development: If you're an operating system developer, have too much
spare time and too
little excitement, or are a blind idiot, -current is for you. When
-current destroys your MP3
collection, debug the problem and submit a patch to correct it.

Hobby: If you're a hobbyist, you can run any version! Just keep in mind
the limitations of the
branch you're using. If you're just learning UNIX, -release is what you
want. Once you have
your feet under you, upgrade to -stable. If you have nothing better to
do, and have nothing
but utter contempt for your data, you're welcome to join the masochists
over in -current.