Date:      Sun, 8 Jan 1995 07:57:05 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <jbeukema@HK.Super.NET>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@bsd.coe.montana.edu>
Cc:        Eric Blood <eblood@winky.reno.nv.us>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP problems

I have the same problem.

On Sat, 7 Jan 1995, Nate Williams wrote:

> > To make this happen, I do the startslip, run trn, and ftp to any site.  After
> > a few minutes, my RXD light on my modem stops.  I'll try restarting the ftp
> > session and get the error.  However, if I try and ftp to the internet provider
> > it works.  With ping, the name gets resolved to an IP number, but the error
> > comes up for any host.
>
> Make sure you disable software flow control on BOTH ends of the SLIP
> connection.

why?

> Nate

In my case I thought up to now that the problem was due to running a
secondary name server and having named fail to exchange information with
the provider, time out and delete the route to the gateway.

try route flush, kill the routed process and start routed again.  If it
works again for a while you have the same problem I have.  If I find a
solution, I will let you know.
jbeukema