Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 1995 00:35:17 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news software - which to use ?

Jan Isley stands accused of saying:
> Michael Smith wrote:
> > cnews and nntp are stagnant. INN is _the_ news tool of choice.
>
> This is totally bogus. C news is *not* stagnant and is *the* choice
> of many thousands of sites.  It depends on what the individual site
> needs are.  For a low volume site, INN is overkill, an unnecessarily
> large drain on system resources.

My last reading of the release documentation for Cnews was that the
involved parties had lost interest in any further development.

If there's no significant news traffic, INN just soaks your swap.  Swap is
cheap 8)  If you want a _small_ news system, I recommend Wnews.

Cnews configuration can be a real heartache for the uninitiated, but then
again, so can INN.  YMMV.

> Jan Isley            | If you couldn't find any weirdness,

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[