Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:15:05 +0300
From:      Jaakko Heinonen <jh@saunalahti.fi>
To:        Alexander Best <alexbestms@math.uni-muenster.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ejecting mounted media possible after `cdcontrol play`

Hi,

On 2009-07-12, Alexander Best wrote:
> when `cdcontrol play` is used with a mounted data cd or dvd the following
> message appears (only when running the cdcontrol shell):

Here is a patch to make cdcontrol(1) print error messages also in
non-interactive mode:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/124517

> "Device not configured"

I couldn't reproduce this. I get "Input/output error".

> since there are no audio tracks on a data cd or dvd it's obvious cdcontrol
> will fail. however after issuing the command the drive lock gets removed. now
> it's possible to push the eject button and remove the media even though it's
> mounted. is this a bug or a feature?

If you are using ATAPI driver see PR kern/125139 and the latest patch
submitted to it:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/125139

--
Jaakko