Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 14:08:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPP routing question (fwd)

A few days ago I sent in a message asking for help with PPP routing.
Thanks to the people who responded!! :{) :{) :{)

I've solved part of the problem - that of getting the subnetted network
announced via RIP.

The man page for "routed" indicates the /etc/gateways file has the form

  {net | host} n1 gateway n2 metric m1 {passive | active | external}

I created an entry of the form

  net 198.116.75.0 gateway 198.116.2.4 metric 1 active

but routed would not announce the route.  A (not so) quick reading of the
code shows that the only keywords recognized are "passive" and "external"
for the type of route - the word "active" is NOT a valid keyword!  Not only
that, but the relevant code does

		.
		.
		.
	if we see "passive" {
	  do this stuff
	}
	if we see "active" {
	  do this other stuff
	}
		.
		.
		.

This means if you DO put in a line of the form

  net n1 gateway n2 metric m1 active

the keyword "active" is simply ignored and neither the passive nor the
external action is taken.  Nor is an error generated.  Oops....

The man page for routed needs to be updated to reflect this.  I altered my
/etc/gateways file to change "active" to "external" and now the route is
being properly RIPped.  It might also help if the routed code was
modified to do

		.
		.
		.
	if we see "passive" {
	  do this stuff
	 } else if we see "external" {
	  do this stuff
	 } else fprintf(stderr,"error");
		.
		.
		.

Whew!!!!  At least now I can get to the outside world.  'course, this
STILL doesn't explain why I have to tell routed to explicitly route this
net (since it's directly attached.)  Oh well, back to the white board...

Thanks,

Mike