Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:38:00 -0500
From:      Chance Daryl SrA AMC CSS/SAS <DARYL.CHANCE@SCOTT.AF.MIL>
To:        "'FreeBSD Newbies'" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Possible oversight?

Hi

This should probably go to another list, but I'm not quite sure
which one atm, so I'll post it here and, if need be, I'll forward
it onto the appropriate list.

I installed the kernel source for FreeBSD 4.0 this weekend and
started commenting stuff out that I wouldn't need.  I don't have
a CDRom in the box I was installing this on, so I commented out
all the CDRom devices.  I the did a:

config <my config file>
cd to compile dir
make depend
make all

all seemed to go well until I came across this:

unable to find file miibus.h (or something close to that.).  I looked
in my config file and found that it was a CDRom device that I had
commented out.  I uncommented it, redid the steps above and all compiled
well.

I guess the oversight would be, should there maybe be a (required)
besie the miibus device, kinda like the others that are a required
for the kernel to compile?

It's prolly something that doesn't normally come up since most
people probably use FreeBSD w/ a CDRom :).

Thanks,
<- SrA Daryl Chance  - A programmer is someone who solves a    ->
<- USAF AMC CSS/SASR - problem you didn't know you had in a    ->
<- RAD Programmer    - way you don't understand.               ->
<- (618) 256-5225    -                - ?????                  ->