Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 16:52:41 +0430 (GMT+04:30)
From:      danilook@dds.nl
To:        James <james@fr.clara.net>
Cc:        Stuart Duckworth <ITServices@cableinet.co.uk>, Dragon Singer <WM-Scace@wiu.edu>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello,

Hi,

Upgrading really isn't that scary at all. I upgraded to 4.2
about 2 weeks after I'd first installed and had no serious
issues. Using CVSUP to download the new source and
compiling new kernels and userland are all clearly & well
documented in the handbook.

Give a go some time.

Dan

James <james@fr.clara.net> schreef:

>The Packages can be a pain in the *rse...although sticking
with
>stable has rarely caused problems...One thing I still
haven't got to grips
>with on FreeBSD is an upgrade, (4.2 to 4.3 for example) To
be honest I
>haven't needed to attempt it yet but it looks horrible ! :-
)

>On Mon, 28 May 2001, Fredrik Olausson wrote:

found any
>> > NIC's I have had...
>>
>> I like Debian, or I did until I broke the packaging
stuff. Again, I feel
>> that's the beauty of FreeBSD and Slackware; there is no
need to worry about
>> corrupting some database somewhere, if you don't like
the program, just go
>> ahead and delete it. But wait, lets not start  a Linux
distribution war on a
>> FreeBSD mailing list :)
>>
>> -Fredrik

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the
message