Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 07:59:20 -0500
From:      Howard Goldstein <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        dg@root.com, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
Subject:   Re: Best mount options, tunefs for newsserver

[for just one swipe going to fbsd-fs too]

In article <199611110210.SAA01988@root.com>, dg@root.com wrote:
 : >I'll have to defer this to someone more knowledgable about the
 : >internals of FreeBSD...
 :
 :    We didn't have async support in 2.1.0. We had partial support for it in
 : 2.1.5, and full support for it in 2.2/-current. In -current, it should take
 : only a few seconds to delete /usr/src. :-) (I haven't tried, however) The

Ahh excellent I guess it's time to grab some code and start following
freebsd-current.  Thanks!

 : ultra-fast async in 2.2/-current also means that it has a much higher chance
 : of trashing your filesystem if the system should go down before the stuff
 : is written out...so it's a mixed bag.

Well if we lose the newsspool, overviews, and history it's not such a
big deal, just wait 6 days and it's all back again.  In some ways it's
a Good Thing as all the smut and spam are gone, albeit temporarily.
Note our users would not agree with this.  Of course 99% probably
wouldn't notice if I dropped everything other than
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica, but that's another story.

Would be neat to have a new class of filesystem, call it "expfs"
(expendable filesystem) for low-value high-volume stuff like news
articles.  Could have default async writes, noatime, preferred time
optimization, anything else that would lend itself to this sort of thing.

Regarding current, can one do a surgical strike (make on kernel only)
install on it or is a make world needed as it would be for the NOATIME
patch?

--
Howard Goldstein   <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>