Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:30:52 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1bor_K=F6vesd=E1n?= <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD Emulation <emulation@freebsd.org>, gkovesdan@t-hosting.hu, shildreth@allantgroup.com
Subject:   Re: I am trying to compile under linux compat

Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:52:49 -0500 Scott T. Hildreth wrote:

>>> Linux_base port is not supposed to install _everithing_ but to install
>>> the stuff to support running linux ports under FreeBSD OS.

>>> You may consider using linux_dist-gentoo* for a development needs.
>>>

>>   Would I install that over - in conjunction with the fc4?
>>

> I think yes, but definitely the maintainer of linux_dist-gentoo* ports
> (CCed) knows better.
>

> WBR

No, the linux_dist-gentoo* ports don't really suit our linux ports,
that's the reason why they have been repocopied from linux_base-gentoo*.
You can just install linux_dist-gentoo-stage3, it is the most complete
distribution. You can use it chrooted with 'chroot
/usr/local/gentoo-stage3 /bin/bash'. It is a complete Gentoo linux
running on the FreeBSD kernel, so you will get everything that is
included in the Gentoo stage3 distribution. Third party softwares can be
installed via the portage system. It is "Gentoo's ports collection" but
has nothing to do with our ports collection. Please refer to the Gentoo
Linux Handbook to find out how you can use the portage system:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

--
Cheers,

Gabor