Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 1997 22:59:31 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Peter Carah <pete@news.interworld.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal Servers? (which one)

At 10:39 AM 2/09/97 -0800, Peter Carah wrote:
>In article <3.0.32.19970131094233.0099abe0@sentex.net> you write:
>>
>>At 01:23 AM 2/01/97 +1100, Andrew wrote:
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Well after all the comments about Annexes what do people recommend as a
>>>terminal server for an ISP?. Looking for something expandable - starting
>>>at 30 or so ports. Presumably support SLIP/CSLIP/PPP with authentication
>>>on FreeBSD. Presumably they all will have ethernet of some form. How about
>>>handling ISDN as well as analogue modems? AAny other helpful comments?
>>>
>>>Someone told me Pormasters had a habit of spontaneous reboots. Anyone else
>>>heard this?
>>
>>Maybe they are running an old version of ComOS... We have several of them
>>and like them VERY much...
>
>3.3.2 would reboot immediately if anyone attempted a PAP login on it.
>They fixed it very quickly as 3.3.2c1 but THAT leaked memory like a sieve.
>3.3.3 is fairly stable but still leaks memory some.  I haven't tried later
>than that.  Note that several months production got shipped with 3.3.2 in
>it; you had to upgrade immediately...

I have 3 machines running 3.3.3 with uptimes of several months.  One of the
machines has 2 BRI cards in it as well, and typically, we have 80 days
connect time.  Our customers log in via slip, PPP cslip and plain old shell
access.  Most of our PPP customers are Win95 PAP customers along with some
NT and Mac users.

>Except for those that got 3.3.2 with their box and had W95 users trying
>to log in...  Disaster city :-(

Again, 3.3.3 I have found to be *VERY* stable, and very reliable.

>Ours aren't quite that good.  The primary cause of our reboots is the console
>(pm_open or pm_term) application gets wedged and cancelled at the unix
>(or windoze) end, and you cant start another till the box gets rebooted.
>It would be nice to be able to kill the connection at the pm2 end without
>a reboot.

show netc

reset n<#>

Its in the Livingston FAQ.