Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:31:34 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Couple of questions

Jonathan Belson wrote:
> Just in case anyone's got a long memory:
>
> When did [Free]BSD gain NAT/IP masquerading?  I couldn't see it
> mentioned in the Design and Implementation [...] book; did it
> appear after FreeBSD was forked?

There was an implementation back when it was incorrectly called
"IP Masquerading", but it wasn't integrated into FreeBSD proper,
because there was no RFC, and it broke Path MTU discovery, which
was (and still is) considered a Bad Thing(tm).  You get to see
people complain about this on -questions or -hackers or -net
occasionally, when they don't realize that their problem is that
the MTU on their NAT box is set too high (these days, it's mostly
PPPOE that has problems).

I believe the first integration of an implementation occurred in
October of 1994, about 6 months after the publication of RFC 1631,
when it became a standard that had to be supported.

> Did Linux ever use the BSD network stack?  If so, roughly when
> did it happen?

You should as Matt Dillon that question, since he's the one who
did the first two rewrites on the Linux TCP stack, I believe...

-- Terry