Date:      Thu, 6 Oct 2016 14:57:51 -0700
From:      Ngie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        Oliver Peter <lists@peter.de.com>, FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT: "service netif restart" looses default route

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 09:40, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 10/6/16 12:27 AM, Oliver Peter wrote:
>>> On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 06:47:48PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Today, I checked on two servers of ours running both a recent CURRENT (i=
.e. FreeBSD
>>> 12.0-CURRENT #43 r306701: Wed Oct  5 06:40:40 CEST 2016) via "service ne=
tif restart" the
>>> upcoming network and realised that the default route is lost then!
>>>=20
>>> I'm able to config the route via "service routing restart" - or manually=
 as I did
>>> otherwise. But I recall that I did a simple "service netif restart" in 1=
1-CURRENT
>>> recently and that worked.
>>>=20
>>> Has there been a change? What is now the official way to restart network=
?
>>=20
>> Since the past couple of years on every new FreeBSD I put this in motd fo=
r my
>> linux colleagues and coworkers:
>>=20
>>    Network:
>>            To apply changes you have made to the network:
>>            # /etc/rc.d/netif restart && /etc/rc.d/routing restart
>>=20
>> Perhaps we could introduce a wrapper to be used with:
>>    # service network restart
>=20
> <snip code - which i think looks good>
>=20
> I think this is a great idea - especially as it would make it easier for d=
ev's and other novice admin's to use freebsd as a development platform.

Special casing would need to be done with DHCP, btw..

Also, what about IPv6 (rtsol/rtsold, etc)?

Thanks!
-Ngie=